Greta's Garden

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Centipede Grass


My front yard used to have gorgeous light green centipede grass throughout the hot dry summer. Well, several years ago, I had my huge oak tree deep-root fertilized. MISTAKE. The auger that drilled holes into the tree roots pulled up dormant seeds -- weeds and grasses that hadn't been mixing into my beautiful centipede grass.

So I wound up with a ring of unknown grasses surrounding the tree - 21 holes. After a tornado took out my favorite tree, I ended up with a real mess in my front yard.

Now it's loaded with all kinds of grasses and weeds. Since the rains have softened the soil, I"ve been digging up quite a bit of the unwanted greenery. In the basement, I've got flats of centipede seed germinating - and I'll plant the plugs in June.

Local landscaping companies don't carry centipede sod. So I'm making my own.

4 Comments:

  • I planted a good size portion of my back yard with centipede and covered it with plastic so it would germinate.Did I do wrong by doing this and how long do I leave the plastic on the seeded area?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 05, 12:40:00 PM  

  • Centipede seed needs a lot of moisture to germinate - and time. This particular grass doesn't just pop up like a fescue. My concern in using plastic is that you may be baking your soil. I would opt for straw or some type of covering that would allow air to circulate - and at the same time keep soaker hoses going underneath to ensure moisture. And, you don't want mold to grow. That can happen with plastic. But once your seeds sprout and start spreading - which takes up to 3 years to get good coverage - you can significantly reduce your mowing!

    By Blogger gretastips, at Sat May 16, 08:05:00 AM  

  • Hello Mrs. Greata,

    I have centipede in my back yard. I have lots of reddish long shoots of centipede grass popping up. I would like to do something with the seeds. I though of mowing the grass and catching the clippings and spreading it in the bare areas of my yard. I don't know if centipede grass can grow like that or what just trying to use the grass seeds some how.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jul 27, 02:00:00 PM  

  • Great story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that matter. Thanks for sharing this data.
    Joan Stepsen
    Wise geek

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 15, 07:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home