Greta's Garden

Monday, September 04, 2006

Sept. 4 - Cicada Killer Wasps

I know I've posted something since July, but poof, it's gone. Over the Labor Day weekend, Joel and I spent most of it harvesting and canning. We started at the Farmer's Market on NC Hwy. 211 near Pinehurst and got a bunch of peppers. From there, we went to Auman's Orchard for some Big Red peaches. I'll tackle that project tomorrow.

Then we went to his dad's house in Lexington. I got some figs off a huge tree and saw these. The NC Cooperative Extension office there identified it as a cicada killer wasp. They are about 2 inches long and have the body of a bee. I was not sticking around to get any more figs. I ran.

So, if you're out in the yard this time of year and see these monsters, and they really are, just leave them alone, go inside and find out how to get rid of them next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home